Having a single director for all content requests helps you gain better control on policy enforcement, maximize performance, better visibility over your TV delivery, and quality of your TV delivery by routing requests to the best streamer or CDN.
Edgeware TV Director performs CDN request routing, selecting the optimum CDN server to stream content from, based on client location, content distribution and server load. The software also supports content policy enforcement such as geo and device blocking, limiting concurrent streams per customer, and floating sessions during change in client IP.
A centralized request router integrated with distributed edge streaming servers enable load balancing and fail-over. TV content including live, VOD and recordings can be load balanced across multiple delivery servers, giving access to thousands of simultaneous content.
This distributed model ensures CDN cache operational efficiency and additional capacity during an unexpected traffic peak.
WHAT IT DOES
- Centralized client entry point for all requests for both IPTV and OTT TV
- Enforcement of selection policies and control such as concurrency session
- No single point of failure
- Load balancing and fail-over at all levels of the CDN or between CDNs
- Selection of the best streamer or CDN on-net or off-net
- Advanced routing rules to support different TV service requirements or criteria
- Fully automated popularity based content propagation in a distributed model
HOW IT WORKS
- Edgeware TV Director receives all client requests.
- Request is validated so that it complies with routing policies such as allowed concurrent stream per customer, e.g. live sports to be delivered only at the highest quality to paid subscribers, or content rights only cover the viewers located in the US.
- The software approves access to the US viewers and denies access to the Swedish viewer. It evaluates the current load across all the CDNs, including own CDN, and selects the best option for delivery.
- Request is routed to the best streamer or CDN based on criteria e.g. proximity, availability and server load.
Approved requests are directed to the selected CDNs where content will be streamed in the required formats.
- In selecting the best streamer, it also handles load balancing over the servers and monitors their health.
HOW TO DEPLOY
Edgeware TV Director can be deployed on standard computing platforms, and comes pre-integrated with our software-based Virtualized TV Server and our plug-and-play TV servers.
Together, you create a flexible mix-and-match configuration which combines the benefits of elastic scaling with the ability to cost-effectively scale your TV delivery via a distributed CDN. Edgeware products can be used to build origin and CDN solutions.