There are many complexities when delivering high quality subtitles to multiple device types and screen sizes. Subtitling is usually two rows of text with a timecode that determines when to display and when to remove the text. But there is an array of different formats and character sets that need to be supported.
Edgeware offers the Cavena-based technology for the highest quality subtitling. Integrated with Edgeware’s TV Repackager product, the combined solution delivers high quality subtitling across any screen format, to any client and in any character set.
Cavena’s technology delivers high quality subtitles for TV, using Optical Character Recognition to convert subtitles from image to text formats, which provide a much higher quality experience for OTT viewers. The system can also transcode subtitle formats with one subtitle format in, transcoded within milliseconds, and another format sent out.
Subtitling and captioning
WHAT IT DOES
- Synchronize and insert subtitles; supporting different technologies such as “in-vision” – open subtitles, EBU teletext (often used for hard of hearing), CEA 608/708 and DVB
- Transcode subtitles on-the-fly – with one subtitle format in and another format out
- High quality rendering of subtitles
- Correct adaptation to any screen format
- Support for any language, including Asian character sets
Subtitling made easy
HOW IT WORKS
- Subtitle files are prepared offline against a low-res copy of the video, generating a small file with text and time codes. The subtitle files can also contain information such as horizontal and vertical position, color, size and font.
- The Cavena technology uses an automated process to transmit the subtitles based on the input from the preparation phase. It interfaces with planning and automation systems to integrate the program information and trigger commands.
- The transmission units synchronize the subtitles for play-out using the time code read from the video signal.
- The subtitles are output in one or more formats depending on transmission platform. Frequently used technologies include; DVB, in-vision and EBU Teletext and in the USA technologies are referred to as EIA 608 for SD and EIA 708 for HD quality.
- Cavena technology also provides subtitle transcoding solutions for conversion between transmission formats. This is integrated into the transmission product, including live subtitling inputs.
Cavena TV Subtitling
HOW TO DEPLOY
Edgeware’s Cavena subtitling technology offers multiple deployment options for various customer preferences. The subtitling products can be deployed on standard computing platforms or in the cloud. The OCR Subtitling is also offered as a cloud-hosted service in Edgeware Cloud Service. Read more about our cloud service here.