A multitenant CDN enables you to resell your infrastructure capacity to other content providers, aggregators, broadcasters, and OTT service providers. The software solution leverages your existing resources, maximizing the investments you have already made and increases revenue opportunities.
As a network operator, your multitenant CDN will ensure sufficient streaming and storage capacity are provided to your tenants based on demand. By monitoring tenants’ resource consumption, you get early indicators of potential bottlenecks in resources before they occur, avoiding resource depletion. You can instantly expand capacity by simply unlocking streaming or storage license keys, or redirect traffic to third party CDNs. You can also offer access to analytics information to each tenant.
A national telecom operator in Europe uses its Edgeware TV delivery infrastructure to deliver TV over broadband for the national public broadcaster, providing live TV, catch-up and network-based PVR services.
It has built its multitenant CDN by deploying TV edge servers in over 100 points within its network, covering the entire country, and shares their capacity across both its own TV services and a local broadcaster’s.
WHAT IT DOES
- Unique management interface for tenants and network operators (e.g. for tenants to upload content or schedule recordings)
- Early indicators of potential bottleneck in resources based on historical data and trend analysis
- Instant expansion of capacity (streaming and storage) in edge caches by simply unlocking license keys
- Access to monitoring dashboard for each tenant
- Weekly or monthly reportingfor both tenants and operators (e.g. content and viewer behavior, cache misses, etc.)
- Enforcement of content policies and control such as geo or device blocking and concurrency sessions
- Ability to route traffic to third party CDNs via CDN Selector
- External origins can be added through standard API
HOW IT WORKS
- The network operator manages tenant accounts and monitors streaming and storage resource consumption for each tenant.
- Multitenancy provides early indicators to operators when additional resources are needed, so that operators can plan to expand capacity or redirect traffic to external CDNs.
- Tenants can upload, select content, and schedule recordings on their own using the interface designed for each tenant.
- The network operator can apply separate routing policies per tenant.
- Content policy can be applied as routing rules if necessary.
- Monitoring and analytics for resource usage, viewership, network performance etc. are available for each tenant.
HOW TO DEPLOY
Multitenancy offers multiple deployment options for various customer preferences. Functions can be deployed on standard computing platforms, on Edgeware’s plug-and-play TV servers or in the cloud.
Together, you create a flexible mix-and-match configuration which combines the benefits of elastic scaling with the ability to cost-effectively scale your TV delivery via a distributed CDN.