Multi-CDNs offer great possibilities to optimize reach, create redundancy and manage peak traffic. But, the means to control your OTT TV delivery are limited and in the hands of each CDN provider. The information about potential drops in quality of experience (QoE) lands with each CDN provider leaving limited visibly to you as a content distributor. This greatly reduces your possibilities to address potential problems and impact the service in real time.
StreamPilot, Edgeware’s cloud-based session control platform, solves these problems. It lets you take full control of the OTT TV delivery, fully independent of the delivering CDN. And it’s completely client agnostic, which allows you to measure the delivery of every single content segment in real-time.
With its strategic location, sitting in the control plane between the CDN and the client, StreamPilot controls the delivery in a way that’s completely agnostic to CDN and client. This makes it ideal for multi CDN environments and allows you to pro-actively and in-session switch or modify the delivery of every single segment from the CDNs to whatever client device your viewers might use. Furthermore, it enforces distribution policies and can block illegal streaming.
StreamPilot measures every segment request made by the client and redirects it to the most optimized CDN. This provides important information such as bitrate, device type and delivering CDN, and provides essential and actionable data to base any actions needed in order to optimize the QoE in real time. The information is presented in an open API-based dashboard for easy integration with other systems.
StreamPilot is cloud-based and offered as part of the Edgeware Cloud Service.
In-session delivery control – Switch, modify or even terminate in-session to optimize QoE and to enforce distribution policies.
CDN and Client agnostic QoE measurement– get unbiased and real-time measurements of every client request – not subsets – avoiding dependency to CDN provider and costly client integration.
WHAT IT DOES
- Fine-granular control of TV delivery from multiple CDNs
- Switch from one CDN to another or modify streams inreal-time, in-session and per segment in order to optimize quality of experience(QoE) or minimize CDN delivery cost
- Agnostic to client device, CDNand media format –VoD/Live and HLS/DASH
- Re-directs the request for segments to the optimal CDN
- Features an open-API based dashboard for easy automation and integration
- Monitors every single segment request made by all clients, providing complete and unbiased QoE data
- Enforces distribution policies and can terminate sessions to prohibit account sharing and illegal distribution, e.g. implementing geo restrictions
- Provides QoE insights to be used for troubleshooting, testing new codecs/formats (A/B testing) or as input when developing new innovative TV offerings/campaigns
- Cloud-basedand offered as a service
HOW IT WORKS
- StreamPilot sits in the control plane acting as the source for all media segments. The client requests a media segment from StreamPilot.
- The segment request is re-directed to a source (CDN).
- The client requests the media segment from the CDN as dictated by StreamPilot.
- The CDN delivers the media segment to the client and the client requests the next segment from StreamPilot
HOW TO DEPLOY
Edgeware StreamPilot is cloud-based and offered as a service within the Edgeware Cloud Service.
The high availability delivered by cloud providers, coupled with the redundant internal structure of the StreamPilot system itself, offers in a highly reliable and available solution for your TV delivery control.