Edgeware TV Delivery allows you to control your own TV CDN and uses a dynamic edge cache to hold the most popular TV content closer to your OTT and IPTV viewers, then streams it to the client device in the requested format and bitrate.
It can also repackage, encrypt and personalize the stream to include ad-insertion, watermarking, time-shift TV, and serve multiple devices directly at the edge without the need to go back to the source content and fetch lots of different versions. It optimizes storage, and saves capacity in backhaul as well as in your CDN. The content only needs to be ingested once in the origin, before it is automatically distributed to the delivery server upon a viewer’s request. Initiated by viewers’ requests, assets are distributed intelligently over multiple clusters to build a caching hierarchy.
Having a single “pay as you grow” solution that scales to all client device types without having to manage duplicate, siloed delivery networks has proven to result in at least 50% CAPEX savings.
Typically, 80% of your viewers watch less than 20% of your content. By using an edge cache to replicate the most popular content and channels, you can serve nearly all of your content to your viewers without it having to cross the network. Essentially, you reduce upstream network traffic by more than 80%.
WHAT IT DOES
- Dynamic OTT and IPTV streaming for all TV services on a single platform
- Supporting just-in-time repackaging at the edge in cooperation with Edgeware’s Edge TV Repackager – saving network bandwidth and storage
- Streaming TV content in any ABR format, HLS, DASH and MSS
- Enforcing routing policies from Edgeware’s TV Director for an optimized TV delivery
- Integrated wholesale CDN capabilities
- Clustering and caching hierarchy increases availability with no single point of failure
- Supporting in-depth viewer and quality analytics to enable personalization
- Popularity based asset spread – auto-propagation of popular content close to the viewers
HOW IT WORKS
- Edgeware TV Servers deployed at the center of the CDN act as a bandwidth expansion to handle more requests.
- Delivery servers deployed closer to the edge cache content requested by client devices based on an intelligent popularity algorithm – the most popular content is automatically propagated close to the viewers. This has proven to reduce backhaul traffic by 80%.
- Caching hierarchy can be scaled in pace of growth by unlocking streaming capacity on existing appliances or by adding more delivery servers without changing existing architecture.
- Content can be streamed through all levels – requests for the most popular assets are sent to the edge clusters and longer-tail requests are served directly from centralized clusters to increase edge cache-hit efficiency.
HOW TO DEPLOY
Edgeware TV Delivery can be deployed as a software-based Virtualized TV Server or on Edgeware’s plug-and-play TV Servers, optimized for TV right out-of-the-box.
Edgeware TV Servers provide functions that include repackaging, encryption, caching and streaming, and can all be managed by the same software layer. The TV Delivery software is easily deployed and configured on COTS HW to temporarily boost streaming capacity for a limited period of time, e.g. for large live events.