Having a single director for all content requests helps you gain better control on policy enforcement, maximize performance, better visibility over your TV delivery & quality by routing requests to the most optimized TV Delivery server.
Edgeware TV Director orchestrates your TV delivery – selecting the optimum TV server to stream content from – based on client location, content distribution and server load. Other attributes that are used to direct the requests are geo and device blocking, time & date, content type (live or VOD) and bit-rate to mention a few.
A centralized request router integrated with distributed edge TV servers enable load balancing and fail-over. TV content including live, VOD and recordings can be load balanced across multiple delivery servers, giving access to thousands of simultaneous content.
This distributed model ensures CDN cache operational efficiency and additional capacity during an unexpected traffic peak.
WHAT IT DOES
- Centralized client entry point for all requests for both OTT TV and IPTV
- Orchestration of requests based on advanced routing rules such as client location, server load, content distribution and time of day to mention a few
- Enforcement of routing policiesmaking sure content is streamed from the appropriate TV Delivery server
- Load balancing and fail-over at all levels of the CDN or between CDNs
- Fully automated popularity based content propagation in a distributed model
- Selection of the most optimized CDN; own or 3rd party
- No single point of failure
HOW IT WORKS
- Edgeware TV Director receives all client requests.
- Request is validated so that it complies with routing policies such as allowed concurrent stream per customer, e.g. live sports to be delivered only at the highest quality to paid subscribers, or content rights only cover the viewers located in a certain region.
- The software approves access to the viewers/clients fulfilling the policies and denies access to those that don’t.
- Request is routed to the best TV Delivery server or CDN based on criteria e.g. proximity, availability and server load. Approved requests are directed to the selected CDNs where content will be streamed in the required formats.
- In selecting the best TV Delivery server, it also handles load balancing over the servers and monitors their health.
HOW TO DEPLOY
Edgeware TV Director offers multiple deployment options for various customer preferences. Functions can be deployed on standard computing platforms or in the cloud.
Together, you create a flexible mix-and-match configuration which combines the benefits of elastic scaling with the ability to cost-effectively scale your TV delivery via a distributed video CDN.