Edgeware’s TV CDN architecture supports both manifest-based and a unique bitstream-based watermarking alternative for both IPTV and OTT services.
TV Watermarker enables a unique video watermarking solution that is actually done in the bitstream and can be performed on-the-fly by Edgeware’s TV servers as they stream content.
Bitstream-based watermarking has several advantages over a manifest-based approach:
- CDN efficiency: the CDN only has to send and store a single copy of the original TV show
- Rapid watermarking: it can embed a watermark at a rate of several bits per second, rather than fractions of a bit per second
- Hard to manipulate: it requires much greater effort and skills to erase the watermark than simple manifest manipulation.
WHAT IT DOES
- Embeds a unique code into each TV stream
- Embeds the watermark on-the-fly at the edge of the TV CDN
- Rapid embedding allows earlier detection
- Supports HLS and DASH
HOW IT WORKS
Watermark insertion is done in the bitstream by changing a few bytes. This is performed on-the-fly by TV edge servers as they stream content.
- The first part of the process profiles and identifies the candidate blocks in the picture that can be manipulated without degrading the image. The identity of these candidates, and how they may be altered, is added and included as special metadata, sent with the content.
- The second part of the process embeds the watermark, by manipulating the blocks within the actual bitstream to create a unique code that correlates to each viewer – one for every for each streamed version of the video.
HOW TO DEPLOY
TV Watermarker can be deployed with our software-based Virtualized TV Server or Edgeware’s plug-and-play TV servers, optimized for TV right out-of-the-box.
A TV server can be placed in the origin or at the edge. All services including, repackaging, encryption, caching and streaming, can be managed by the same software layer. Together, you create a flexible mix-and-match configuration which combines the benefits of standard computing platforms with the ability to cost-effectively scale your TV delivery via a distributed CDN. Edgeware platforms can be used to build both origin and CDN solutions.