Edgeware’s TV CDN architecture supports both A:B manifest-based and a unique bitstream-based watermarking for OTT services.
TV Watermarker enables a unique video watermarking solution that is actually done in the bitstream and can be performed on-the-fly by Edgeware’s TV servers as they stream content. Or we can support an ‘A:B’ approach that embeds a watermark using a unique combination of file names.
The two approaches have different advantages:
- CDN efficiency: Bistream watermarking only has to send and store a single copy of the original TV show in the CDN, making it more efficient
- Flexibility: A:B (manifest-based) can be used with any CDN service
- Security: it requires more effort to erase a bitstream watermark than simple manifest manipulation.
WHAT IT DOES
- Embeds a unique code into each TV stream
- Embeds the watermark on-the-fly, either in the origin (A:B) or at the edge of the TV CDN (Bitstream)
- Supports HLS, DASH and MSS
HOW IT WORKS
Watermark insertion is done either by changing the file names in the manifest, which are then streamed in a unique combination, or in the bitstream by changing a few bytes. This is performed on-the-fly by TV edge servers as they stream content.
- The first part of the process profiles and identifies the candidate blocks in the picture that can be manipulated without degrading the image. The identity of these candidates, and how they may be altered, is added and included as special metadata, sent with the content.
- The second part of the process embeds the watermark, by manipulating the blocks within the actual bitstream to create a unique code that correlates to each viewer – one for every for each streamed version of the video.
HOW TO DEPLOY
TV Watermarker can be deployed as part of our software origin solution, with our software-based Virtualized TV Server or Edgeware’s plug-and-play TV servers.
Watermarking can be performed in the origin or at the edge. All services including, repackaging, encryption, caching and streaming, can be managed by the same software layer. Together, you create a flexible mix-and-match configuration which combines the benefits of standard computing platforms with the ability to cost-effectively scale your TV delivery via a distributed CDN. Edgeware platforms can be used to build both origin and CDN solutions.